SmithBits TalkRadio

Friday, March 15, 2019

Tami's story behind the music video for "Big Boss Mama"


 

"BIG BOSS MAMA" OUT NOW!

Premiering on Rolling Stone and included in their list of "Best 10 Country and Americana Songs to Hear Now", Tami's swaggering new single is "Shot through with bright, biting bursts of rockabilly guitar, “Big Boss Mama” is everything its title promises — a larger-than-life celebration of the women who run the world."

Tami's story behind the music video for "Big Boss Mama":

"I was on tour in Canada and had the rough demo of “Big Boss Mama”. I played it for my brother Todd, whose design company, “Valiant Made" creates a lot of my visuals- from album art to music videos. He immediately said, “Do you have any time between tour dates? I need to shoot the video for this song.”I had one night off in 2 weeks and went to his office, which he’d spent the day styling like a set straight out of Mad Men. Once he had that, he then shot all of the other characters and scenes without me. This was the first time I’ve ever done a video where I didn’t come up with the concept and I put my trust fully in him. He wanted to create portraits of powerful women throughout history (Elizabeth 1, Cleopatra), women who broke through the barriers society has placed on females (Annie Oakley, Amelia Earhart), courageous women who battled injustice (Rosa Parks, Joan of Arc) but, told me to choose 2 women who I admired, that influenced me directly. Being a woman who is lucky enough to call two countries home, I chose to pay homage to Buffy Sainte Marie as my Canadian/First Nations influence and Jacinda Ardern as a woman I greatly admire for my New Zealand influence. When it came to choosing a release date, there was no question that this celebration of Big Boss Mamas had to be on International Women’s Day!"
WATCH: TAMI NEILSON- BIG BOSS MAMA
Read what Rolling Stone had to say about Tami's new single (click on image for article)...
LISTEN on Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon, iTunes and Bandcamp!
Tami's story behind writing and recording the song "Big Boss Mama":

This song was a collaboration that took place at APRA’s Songhubs. You don’t find out who you are spending the day writing with or who you are writing the song for until 15 minutes before you begin. When I found out that we were writing a song for me, I had the title “Big Boss Mama” and a basic theme in place. I was in the midst of my album rollout for “SASSAFRASS!” and the theme of celebrating women with strength and sass was still coursing through my mind. My fellow country artist and friend Kaylee Bell and I wrote the lyrics like the William’s sisters playing a lightening-fast and furiously fun game of tennis while Jol (Mulholland) and Seth (Haapu) started to build the musical foundation. I had a conversation I’d had with a girlfriend of mine, another big boss Mama, kicking around in my brain. She’s in the world of hip hop and said, “You know how hip hop is all about strut and swagger and confidence, telling people how badass you are? You should write a song with that attitude for your genre. You don’t hear women talking boldly and unapologetically about themselves like that.” I was inspired by Maimouna Youssef’s (Mumu Fresh) rap in “Never Bring Me Down” by Vintage Babies after I saw her on NPR’s Tiny Desk. Her words, attitude, strength and grace were my mantra at the time of writing this. This vocal and guitar are one take- the first and only time I sang it and Jol played it in the studio!
FIND SHOWS

No comments:

Post a Comment